Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ash Wednesday + 1

I’ve never really held a high view of ancient liturgy. I usually gravitate towards and value the immediate and spontaneous experiences in my journey. But my appreciation of the ancient traditions is growing.

My previous view of the high church was that it was lifeless, not as relevant, that they were just going through the motions, maybe not being open to the spirit, stuck in the middle ages. I didn’t see the values in the ceremonies.

But the meaning and symbolism is rich, and powerful. My favorite idea right now is how the season of lent defines and reminds of us how we need a savior-that we cannot and will not do it on our own.

Even the decoration of the ancient churches leading up to Easter is a massive symbol. Everything is grey-all color is removed. (Much like ourselves outside of Jesus.) Then finally on Easter, the building is filled with flowers, banners, color, life and celebration because of our Savior’s victory.

I don’t know yet what I should do for lent, I have a few thoughts, but nothing that seems great. Give up Sugar, TV, every liquid except water, meat, coffee, being negative or critical, not purchasing anything except food and gas… on Father Ted (a tongue and check comedy from the UK) each priest gave up something special-cigarettes, alcohol, and rollerblading (the withdrawal effects were hysterical).

What would you give up for 40 days to focus on your need for a savior?

1 comment:

Luke said...

I definitely think that you should give up rollerbladding if you haven't already.

Last year I gave up Carabba's (my fav. panama city dinning choice) which made the Esther Sunday night meal w/ Carabba's Filet Bryan very special.